Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2012

Trout Chowder

What do you make with frozen Montana Trout? Well, I've been thinking about that for nearly 6 months.  Last summer I caught, and froze a number of brook trout, rainbow trout, and brown trout for winter eating.  Of course, as with anything I freeze, I tend to forget about it for nearly a year.  This summer, at one of Erin's softball games, her teammate suggested making a trout chowder.  I finally did, and it was pretty good, ask Erin.

5 10" Montana Trout
1 Can (12 oz) chicken broth
1 Medium onion
4 Cloves garlic, minced
3 medium red potatoes chopped
1 Can (12 oz) corn kernels
1 Red bell pepper
1 small jalapeno, diced
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tsp cayenne
2 C milk
2 Tbsp butter

Start by sauteeing the onions and garlic in the butter until they just start to brown in a large pot Add the potatoes and chicken broth to the onions and garlic, turn the heat to medium.  Cook until potatoes are almost done.  Add the remaining ingredients, except trout, and let simmer.  Cook the trout, on the grill, in a pan, or any other way. Remove the skin and bones, and break up the trout.  Add the trout to the soup and simmer for  20 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool overnight, allowing flavors to mix.

As a side note, I may not have listed all the spices, as I tend to forget what I added if I don't write it down immediately.  So, add whatever you think will taste good!

We enjoyed this with Gin and Tonics, I would recommend the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment