Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Baked Oregon

Being from the land of berries, we were always finding different dishes to whip up in appreciation of our local fruits.  With raspberries, I love to jam; with blackberries, I prefer milkshakes.  However, given the abundance of fruit we pressed to utilize fresh berries even during instantaneous sweet tooth eruptions. In moments in need of last minute desserts, my mother would throw together a crisp.  And, despite its simplicity, the fruit crisp is by far my dessert.  In fact, it’s unfair to both my waistline and my dinner guests that it is perhaps the easiest dessert to make.   Having permanently moved to Montana, I found myself somewhat homesick in the fall.  Rather than the celebration of colors that the changing deciduous offer in my native Oregon, Montana’s fall is a quick and brutal transition to a very long winter.  To ease my nostalgia, I crafted this cozy recipe in tribute to my favorite season.  Baked Oregon is named as such, not only because it’s the season wherein its ingredients are the ripest, but because it is composed of essential Oregon produce.  The pear is the Oregon state fruit; Hazelnuts, the Oregon state nut; and many of the worlds cranberries are produced naturally along the southern Oregon coast.   


I can't believe Rob didn't even put ice cream on it!

Recipe:

8 Bartlett Pears
2 C Flour
2 C Rolled or Quick Oats
2 C Brown sugar2 Tbs Cinnamon
2 Sticks butter½ tsp Nutmeg
¼ C Warm Water
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 C Hazelnuts (also called “Filbert’s”)
½ C Dried Cranberries

Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.Lay whole hazelnuts on a baking sheet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the shells start to crack and nuts begin to brown.  Hazelnuts will continue to cook after you remove them from the oven.  I tend to prefer mine well toasted, but it’s up to you.Peel and slice pears about a ¼ inch thick.  Place pears in bottom of 6 x 9 inch baking pan.  Combine cranberries with the pears and fold in warm and lemon juice. Combine flour, oats, sugar, nuts, and spices.  Melt butter and mix with all dry ingredients.  Although my mother took the no measure approach, I decided on increments of 2 that seem to provide a decent topping ratio (seriously, could this be any easier!).  Cover the fruit with the topping and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the top is brown and the fruit is bubbling through.  Serve warm with Tillamook vanilla ice cream J

No comments:

Post a Comment